Denise Goldberg's blog

Fells, lakes, wonder
A visit to England's Lake District

Friday, September 19, 2008

Afternoon & night... flying

Two flights, two planes, very different...

My first flight, from Logan to Newark, was a late afternoon packed plane. There was a large business traveler presence, a large contingent of people carrying multiple very large pieces of luggage onto the plane. It's flights like this one that make me appreciate Southwest Airline's no assigned seat policy. I'm sure I'm not imagining that boarding the flight to Newark took much longer than boarding a Southwest flight of the same size. Very interesting.

Entering the international wings of the day was much more peaceful. More people were traveling with little in the way of carry-on luggage, and boarding the flight was a much faster process.

Individual seat-back entertainment systems showed me our position in the flight, the time remaining, our speed and altitude. Hey - we just flew over Boston. Now why couldn't I just jump up in the air from home to board my flight?
Hey Denise, it's a bit cold out there - minus 18 degrees Fahrenheit. Yikes! And I'm good at jumping, but I don't think even I could jump up to our current altitude of 36942 feet! But oh! look... we're currently flying at 564 miles per hour. No wonder airplanes get us places so much faster than traveling on our bike! Let's see, by (loaded) bike I think we average about 12 miles per hour. What a difference! Hmm... maybe we could go a little faster if I helped Denise to pedal.

Remember - this is slanty writing. That means it's Rover writing!
I managed a quick catnap as we were waiting to take off from Newark. Now I'm wide awake again, probably not a good thing. I don't sleep well on planes, and yet... I need to be alert to drive in the morning. Not only to drive, but to drive on the other side of the road. Remember Denise, drive on the left. Left, left. (Yes, I am talking to myself. Don't you?)