Denise Goldberg's blog

Fells, lakes, wonder
A visit to England's Lake District

Friday, September 26, 2008

Photos: Panning play

A stand of trees beckoned, time to experiment a bit more with panning, moving the camera with the shutter open to blur the image...

I borrowed Charlie's tripod for yesterday's panning play because mine has a ball-head on it and is a bit more difficult to move straight up and down (as opposed to throwing in some unwanted side-to-side motion). Today I decided to try the technique again using my own tripod. After all, if I want to try this again I will need to train my body to pulling this off with a ball-head mount on the tripod.

Success!
And in spite of my needing to control the movement of the tripod head in both vertical and horizontal directions, I think these pictures are better than those I took yesterday...
The first photo below is a motionless shot of the stand of trees that is shown in the following two shots with a vertical pan.

stand of trees

panning play, trees

panning play, trees