Denise Goldberg's blog

Fells, lakes, wonder
A visit to England's Lake District

Saturday, September 20, 2008

A meeting & a walk

Up Glenridding Dodd

After the somewhat exciting end to my drive, I settled in to my room and did a quick loop through town (yes, on foot!) to get my bearings. I picked up a map and trail book, then wandered down to a snack bar at the edge of the lake. A little bit of food was in order before I headed out on a late afternoon walk with Caroline and her dog Bessie.

We headed up Glenridding Dodd, up and up. Up some more. The sun was sinking lower, painting shadows on the hills. I was a little concerned about having enough time to finish in daylight (since we started hiking quite late in the afternoon), but no problem. Sunshine continued to light our way all of the way down again. It was a bit of a steep walk down, with a couple of sections that made me more than a bit nervous - steep, and with loose terrain underfoot. I'd much rather head up than down, but there isn't any getting away from coming back down again. Maybe one of these days I'll get over my lack of comfort with steep downhills. In the meantime, I'm still walking!

A dodd? That's a new word for me too. According to the (little) walks book that I picked up, and a dodd is a rounded hill.


Glenridding Dodd

Glenridding Dodd