Denise Goldberg's blog

Fells, lakes, wonder
A visit to England's Lake District

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Level ground between the mountains

...walking Grisdale

Early in the morning, I was awake, just not moving yet. I heard a quiet knocking. Again... It took a couple of knocks before I realized there might be someone at my door, not a door down the hall. I popped up to find Caroline there to let me know that there was mist on the lake. Ah, the cameras are calling!

The mist was floating above the surface of the lake, moving, changing. Even with the mist, the mountains were reflected in the water, sometimes as smooth as a mirror, sometimes ruffled by the dogs jumping in to play.

After the mist seemed to lift a bit, we headed up Kirkstone Pass to see if there was any mist up there. Luckily for both of us, Caroline drove. The road up the pass is a very narrow two-lane road, and some of the other roads we rolled down were even narrower. Somehow those one-lane no shoulder, two-way roads that wind about and have steep ups & downs make me a bit nervous. I wonder why?

Back from our early morning activity, it was time for a quick breakfast before heading out again. I chose a flat hike for the day, figuring that I could use some quiet time in the late afternoon before this evenings start of the photography seminar. I thought the walk description was a little odd:
'Though not perfectly level this walk should be well within the range of even the most unenergetic of walkers, yet from it can be appreciated some of the wildest mountain terrain in the Lake District.'
Unenergetic? No matter, it was beautiful.

The sky was an absolute gift today, sunshine against a bright blue background, decorated with occasional clouds. A paved narrow road became even narrower, eventually turning in to dirt and switching to a narrow trail. It was a gentle walk up a valley lined with mountains, passing through one kissing gate plus many other gates across the road, walking, looking, absorbing my surroundings.

Loose sheep were wandering, eating. Sometimes they would stay where they were when I approached; sometimes they looked at me and turned the other way. And yes, I did watch where my feet hit the ground having no desire to need to clean a smelly pair of hiking shoes. Success! I managed to end the day with clean soles!

As I headed back, I crossed paths with a man carrying a bundle of wooden stakes and boots on his pack. I did a double-take but too late to ask him what he was up to. A few minutes later a woman approached who was carrying a similar load. I asked if they were doing some trail work. Nope. Apparently there is some kind of (odd) arts festival going on. They are placing hundreds of Wellies upside down in a field. Apparently it will take several days to carry the boots up to the installation location. Interesting, odd, but it could be interesting to see.

Yes, it was another good day. And the weather wizard has definitely been smiling!